Thursday, March 24, 2011

like a good neighbor, passive aggressive is there.

when i woke up this morning, i found the following note written in all caps on a purple envelope taped to my door:


"Please be mindful of your footfall. There have been several nights that the loud noises form your apartment have kept up my child and myself awake. I see patients early in the morning and my child has school. We need to be able to go to sleep and stay asleep. The office has been notified. Thank you"


my response is as follows: (and please note, i work in the office she supposedly notified and because of this, i'm privy to certain information... like how she is a psychotherapist. which i find ironic.)


"We live in a multi-unit building that was built in 1903; therefore you are going to hear people walk, talk, etc… I know I do, and I am very mindful of my actions because of this. I’m sure since you notified the office; they stressed this very same point.

The ‘loud noises’ remark is completely absurd because I am a quiet person. I go to bed around 10 –10:30 pm on most weeknights and get up around 7:30 am. Which is completely in the normal range of ‘quiet hours’ for apartment living. Again, I’m sure the office also stressed this point.

You can leave as many notes on my door and contact the office as many times as you wish, you will get the same response from me. Actually, this will be the only response from me. I am a very conscious, responsible tenant. I have been renting apartments for over 10 years in a variety of different buildings and not once I have ever had one complaint about my living habits.

I’m sorry you and your son are sensitive to noises, maybe you should find an apartment on the top floor with no shared common walls or a single-family residence so that you are not bothered by others normal day-to-day activities and can sleep soundly.

If this has somehow found the wrong apartment, my apologies as the note did not have a name or apartment number to reference. I’m not sure how one tries to resolve a problem, if they do not know whom the problem is with. So I am assuming that this kind of compliant could only come from the apartment directly below mine as it is the only apartment I share a wall and/or in this case, a floor with."

i signed my name and my apartment number... and at lunch, i will tape it on her door.

"your actions speak so loudly that i cannot hear what you say."